Do you know Mars-One?
“Mars One will establish a permanent human settlement on Mars. Crews of four will depart every two years, starting in 2024. Our first unmanned mission will be launched in 2018“, this and much more info on the mars-one web site.
Mars One is a not-for-profit foundation that will establish a permanent human settlement on Mars.
The road-map should be (wikipedia):
- 2013: The first 40 astronauts were to have been selected; a replica of the settlement was planned to be built for training purposes.
- 2014: The first communication satellite was to have been produced.
- 2016: A supply mission would launch with 2500 kilograms of food in a modified SpaceX Dragon.
- 2018: An exploration vehicle would launch to pick the location of the settlement.
- 2021: Six additional Dragon capsules and another rover would launch with two living units, two life support units and two supply units.
- 2022: A SpaceX Falcon Heavy would launch with the first group of four colonists.
- 2023: The first colonists were to arrive on Mars in a modified Dragon capsule.
- 2025: A second group of four colonists slated to arrive.
- 2033: The colony projected to reach 20 settlers.
Analyzing all the information on the website (FAQ as well) the answer looks pretty simple: because belong to the human nature!
Because Mars is the most habitable planet on the solar system (after Earth).
If you want more info or get involved into this project go to www.mars-one.com
Leave a Reply